13.12.11

One of the English tales

ALONE AGAIN


-Gerard, it’s time for breakfast ¡

And I woke up to my mum’s voice. I couldn’t remember what I dreamt about, but I didn’t thought it was important.
Then I realised it was Halloween. The day I had been waiting for the whole year. I knew it was going to be a day to remember, and I wasn’t wrong.

I was hungry like hell so I went downstairs quickly, but when I arrived to the kitchen there was no one in there. The lights were of, and I couldn’t smell pancakes. I looked the clock; it was 8:00 am. Everything was suddenly too quiet. The kitchen was clean, and quiet. There was this note on the table:

Gerard:
I’m working. Take something for breakfast from the fridge.
Love,
Mum.

-This must be a joke – I said aloud.
If my mum wasn’t at home, who shouted? But it was her voice…
I looked for someone all over the house but I was alone. My mum’s bed was made, and her room was really tidy. The fridge was empty, so I decided to go to look for something to eat out of the house. I dressed up quickly, took my mobile phone and I left home. I didn’t even wash my face, or comb myself.

I nearly have forgotten about my mum when I saw her. She was at the end of the street I was walking by. She was in yesterday’s clothes. Her hair was unclean and wild. She wasn’t wearing any make-up, and she had no shoes. She was looking at me right in the eyes without moving any muscle. It was creepy.

-Mum?
But she didn’t reply, or move. She kept looking at me like she couldn’t hear me. I started to walk faster to her. As I went closer I realised that her eyes were like empty, without any expression. I was looking at her when I fell down. When I looked up to the end of the street, there was no one in there. I was alone again.

‘Maybe I’m just too hungry and quite asleep, and I imagined everything’ I thought.
I came into the first café I saw. It was a small one, and there was no one in there. It didn’t have windows. I ordered a coffee. I needed to relax, and forget everything about that morning. I wanted to start the day again.
While I was having breakfast I was trying to convince myself that everything only happened in my head.
Maybe it was a joke that my mom decided to make for Halloween. Maybe I imagined everything. I really wanted to believe that. But, just for sure, I decided to call my mum’s office with my mobile phone:

-Hello
-Hello, this is Hilary’s son. Is she in?
-sorry, you got the wrong number. None Hilary works here.

I hanged up. I wanted to cry. I really wanted all this to be a joke.
Because I was sure it wasn’t the wrong number, the girl I talked to was my mum’s secretary, and I knew her. Something was going on, something wasn’t ok. The day I had been waiting for so long, seemed to be against me.

I wanted this day to end. I didn’t finish my coffee, I wasn’t hungry anymore. I paid it, and I went out of the café. I was really surprised that it was dark. The lampposts were on, and it was pretty cold. Did I spend that much time in the café? No, I’ve been there for a few minutes!
At that moment, I didn’t care if it was too weird, I was glad that this day was ending. I looked at my watch.
It didn’t work. It was stuck in 8 Am.

I heard some laughs, and I turned my head to the right. There were some children playing in a street next to where I was. it was nice to know that there were still normal people. It made me smile. I laughed too, so some children turned their heads to me. They didn’t have face. It was just skin, no eyes or mouth.

That scared me so much. I was starting to feel panic. I screamed and started running. There was big stone in the road, and I didn’t see it, so I fell down again. I tried to stand up as fast as possible, so I could run away from there. I looked back anxious to see if the no-faced children were following me, but there was no one in the street. I was alone, again. Everything was quiet again. The café I entered in was closed. All the lights were off.

I kept running anyways. I was frightened. I wasn’t going anywhere, I wanted to go as far as I could, no matter where.
I was crossing a road when suddenly I was lighted by something. It was a big black car. It was one of those cars that are used in funerals. The car crashed on me after I saw who was driving it. It was my mum in yesterday’s clothes again. Her eyes were red and empty. She was shouting something…


-Gerard, it’s time for breakfast ¡

And I woke up to my mum’s voice. I couldn’t remember what I dreamt about, but I didn’t think it was important.